Sign in to follow this  
spltscreen

The Mold Maneuver

Ah, the classic Valentine's Day dilemma for singles: delicious dinner specials available for one night only, but at the expense of all the trappings that remind you just how single you are.

My favorite local Italian restaurant put me in just such a predicament tonight. Shrimp bisque, crab-stuffed salmon, and chocolate cannoli cake. All specials that aren't normally even on the menu. What to do?

I posed that question recently in a calendar thread. When @Mold dropped a brilliant plan:

Get a table for two...order two identical meals as a "romantic gesture"...wait 20 minutes...take both home...dolefully accept the compassion on your way out.

Simply brilliant.

Now, mind you, I am not the sort of person that is good at keeping a joke. Once my lip starts curling, I cannot hold back the floodgates of grins and chuckles that immediately follow. Execution here is critical. I'd need to really sell the disappointment of having been stood up without betraying the glee of what was to come. I didn't think I stood a chance!

But, what I fear more is a good idea going to waste. No guts, no glory. And so, I executed what will forever be known as The Mold Maneuver.

Before:

Mold-Manuever-1.jpg

After:

Mold-Manuever-2.jpg

I think the extra glass of wine really sold the moment and earned me that sympathetic pat on the shoulder from the waitress as I departed. Somehow, I held back the tears (of joy)!

Mold, you're a genius.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am in bed about to sleep and I get the phone to read some stuff, this made me laugh so hard I almost wake up half my family lol.

I don't think I'll ever again accomplish something as important as influencing this attempt. You're a legend, Ser. I hope you didn't leave the restaurant napkins too damp.