Sign in to follow this  
Maia

War Snakes

Hi everyone! This is a little bit of a continuation of the WvW server discussion. I wanted to float the idea of forming a War Snakes group to run havoc in WvW once a week (day, time, and frequency subject to voting of interested members.) I've been doing some research and communicating with the members of a havoc guild on SBI (violent tendency). Here's the info:

What are you talking about? War Snakes would be a 3-5 person havoc group. (Obviously, if there's more than 5 people interested, that would be awesome too.)

What would this group do? Run around in WvW taking camps, killing yaks, capturing towers and, of course, wrecking all those who stand on our way.

What classes and builds would we run? (These are some ideas from the current meta. I'm sure we'll have others depending on people's preferences.)

Really? This sounds kinda crazy.

Granted, but check out these videos. It looks like a ton of fun:

https://youtu.be/Y4CbvzeLsV8

https://youtu.be/hfQ0NMSLwzk

https://youtu.be/2lKjKmvKfjw

https://youtu.be/bx9wc02pMi8

UPDATE

Server: Gates of Madness

Day: Tuesday

Time: 8:30 to 10:30

Frequency: Once a week to start

Edited by Maia

Cry havoc and let loose the snakes of war! I'm in :) Logistics on which server and what not I shall leave to those that actually know more about world vs world than I, I do not mind transferring provided its not to a super expensive server.  

• Like 1

*insert joyous exaltations here*

I am excited and can help people with builds for nearly every class. I have played most build arch-types and am happy to share insight. Looking forward to some havoc!

• Like 1

Tanking up

Unlike in PvE raids, toughness and vitality are actually useful in WvW. Therefore, I'd like to offer a friendly reminder: don't be afraid to invest in a way for you to "tank up" if you're having trouble staying alive (or if you are worried you will have trouble). 

What does this mean? I'll give you and example using Doc's warrior build. I know he won't be offended because he won't read this.

Doc's build is full maurauder armor with scrapper runes and zerk trinkets and weapons. That's not total glass, but it's not an obnoxious amount of sustain either. Most of you haven't run with Doc in WvW, but I can tell you from experience he's a "balls to the wall" type of guy. He wants to get in there and smacks his enemies as hard as he can with his great sword. It's very possible Doc is going to have trouble keeping himself alive with this build. So, what can he do?

1. Bring damage reduction food (it's the meta and highly recommended). Examples are:  

Best options:

• Bowl of curry mussel soup: 10% damage reduction , 5% condi damage reduction
  • Plate of mussels gnashblade: 10% damage reduction, 70 concentration (good if you are giving out boons such as rev, guardian, or support tempest)
  • Bowl of mussel soup: 10% damage reduction, 70 vitality

Decent options:

• Lemongrass poultry soup: -20% condi duration, 70 vitality
  • Saffron bread: -20% damage while stunned, knocked down or knocked back, -20% condi duration

2. Bring Tanky trinkets, for power that means soldier stats (you could also use Knight 

Valkyrie, or Celestial in some cases), for condi that means trailblazer.

3. Adopt an in and out fighting style. Don't just dive into the fray and stand there. Move in and out of combat.

You can bet Doc will be bringing an extra set of soldiers trinkets and some curry mussel soup in addition to any offensive food he wants to bring. If he's having trouble, he can titrate some more sustain in. His annoying wife will insist on it ;) 

Edited by Maia
  • Like 1

What class should I play?

A few people have asked me this question and this is my definitive answer: any class you want to. As far as I'm concerned no one should ever be required to run any particular class or build. Our number one goal is to have fun, after all, if we're not having fun, why are we doing this? What fun is it to have a dictator telling you want to play?

That said, it is undeniable that some classes and builds are better suited to WvW havoc than others. If you want build suggestions, more explanation of the pros and cons of builds, or a better understanding of what roles we need to fill in our squad, please ask (probably me or Oddgo are a good place to start. As always, Google knows everything).

Here are some points to keep in mind:

1. The current small group havoc meta is is something like 2 reapers (dps), 1 support tempest (for cc, heals and boons), and 2 of Revenant, guardian, Mesmer, warrior (for dps, cc, boons).
  2. For survivability, it's helpful to have access to mobility, stun breaks, and some way to deal with condis.
  3. For fights, it's helpful to have access to boon strip, cc, and AoE dps.

I've linked to a few meta builds above. I think they are a good place to start if you want to see suggestions. I, obviously, am not an expert in every build and role, but this is how I've been thinking of these:

Support Tempest

• Role: This isn't your fragile glass cannon dps ele. This is a heal bot (or heal person) with more than enough auras and boons to go around. Support tempest is one of the anchors of the group who keeps our dps on their feet so they can wreck face.
  • Group supporting skills: Auras, Rebound, Wash away the pain, condition clearing shouts. Plentiful CC from dagger/focus.
  • Survivability/mobility: You're wearing full minstrels, so yeah. You've got lighting flash for your "oh shit" button.
  • Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALAxtotsSZHEXpCY2L00FQ

Condi Reaper (both axe and GS)

• Role: One of, if not THE, main sources of dps in the group. Gives our opponents condi cancer with minimal effort. Can be glassy if you are running heavy on vipers.
  • Group supporting skills: Its all about the dps and boon strip. However, your CC is plentiful and Chilled to the Bone can change the tide of a battle.
  • Survivability/mobility: Can be challenging. Reapers shroud is your dps and survivability when you are focused (which is inevitable), so you probably want to pull off your big damage combo (5,4) and get out of there so it's up for survivability. Reapers shroud 2 is pretty much your mobility. Paying careful attention to positioning and where your healer is is highly recommended.
  • Gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHGaKxX6392J6GRq5LFNdg

Mesmer/chrono

• Role: The build above is a big glassy big damage dealer. I can probably find a tankier boon support build if anyone is interested. 
  • Group supporting skills: In my admittedly limited understanding of Mesmer, seems like Mass Invisibility is one of the big advantages of having one in our ranks. If the Zerg is coming and we need to run away or we simply need time to regroup and reposition, mass invis can give us space.
  • Survivability/mobility: The build above gives you blink and access to stealth. Not to mention all those f-ing clones. 
  • Gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnmow9Q4sw_JLTYb3Ly1Z0w

Revenant

• Role: The build above is a tanky condi dpser. You are tough enough to soak up some of the damage and keep it off our reapers. Not to mention the real reason we have you along: spammable resistance.
  • Group supporting skills: During a fight: Pain absorption. All. Day. Long. If it's looking good, feel free to throw in Banish Enchantment. Out of combat swap over to glint and stack those buffs (the reapers would appreciate some swiftness).
  • Survivability/mobility: You're in Trailblazers, so yeah. Pain absorption is also a stun break which is super nice.
  • Gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIdC5dSHc8gJYpQeG1tvATg

Warrior/Beserker

• Role: Warrior offers a combination of dps, cc and boons. 
  • Group supporting skills: Headbut with stability allows you to stun the enemy so we can all unload the dps. Just please save 100 blades for cleaving the downs so we don't have to pick you up off the floor.
  • Survivability/mobility: Endure pain and berserker stance make you more survivable than your gear leads one to believe. You've got a long block on shield and some good mobility and evade on GS.
  • Gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKxKCu6hIWMtgnkVRHCiMYA

Staff Daredevil

• Role: I don't have a build above but the staff daredevil build on metabattle (under WvW) would work well. This build can will primarily do dps. The metabattle description give some tips.
  • Survivability/mobility: You're a daredevil with 3 dodges, short bow, and shadow step, need I say more?

I hope one of these appeals to you. If not, that's cool too. Feel free to theory craft your own. There are tons of other builds out there, including ranger, thief, and engi. I would need to do some research to be able to recommend something. I believe Oddgo would be happy to consult with anyone who wants to.

• Like 2

Is there any chance we can put up a tentative roster of what people are already looking to play?  Just for the sake of looking into options and what not for those of us who aren't too fussed about the specifics and are just down to play w/e we need.

• Like 1

Sure we can give it a shot. I'm honestly not sure who's going to show up as what at this point. Here's what I believe might happen (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maia

• Main: Support tempest 
  • Can also play: Revenant, Reaper
  • Interested in trying: mesmer

Doc:

• Main: Warrior
  • Can also play: Staff DD
  • Interested in trying: Reaper

Bone:

• Main: Condi Revenant
  • Can also play: Warrior, Guardian
  • Interested in trying:

Mold:

• Main: Reaper
  • Can also play: Support tempest
  • Interested in trying:

Ser

• Main:
  • Can also play:
  • Interested in trying:

Oddgo

• Main: Guardian
  • Can also play: Scrapper
  • Interested in trying:

Pyro

• Main: Power mesmer/chrono
  • Can also play: Guardian, thief, support tempest (magi)
  • Interested in trying: Necro/Reaper/Scourge (after expac)

Others who may be interested in joining us (these people have mentioned it but didn't make it to our first meeting):

Myrwin

Strange

Fred

London

Ath

Zala (can't move servers until expac drops)

Please let me know if I left anyone out. I feel like someone may be missing, but I'm at work so I can't check our roster. Damn it, Doc might have been right that I should have taken minutes at our meeting. I will kill anyone who tells him I wrote that.

Edited by Maia
Updating with replies so they are all in one place

I'd prefer to play condi rev (which is now blazin' trails in new gear) but can also bring warrior or guard (also geared).

• Like 1

There will be a lot to learn across the board, myself included. But this should be fun and excellent as long as we are all willing to play towards success, however we end of defining that in our goals.

I will be our guardian; I believe that I might have the most time in this setting and I will try to share what I know. What's strong, weak, safe, risky, for both tactics and builds.

Something that I mentioned to Mold earlier this evening. Combining a Support Aura Tempest with a Support Guard (both in minstril), is such a nicely broad support base that we can run nearly any builds alongside those and do pretty well. 

I may rotate in some Scrapper play if someone would like me to train them a bit on the Guardian role.

• Like 2

Doc and I transferred on Wednesday. Doc already ran with Lgn and had a great time.

We plan to check out the scene again when we get back on Monday. 

I will try to get some footage of Power Holo sorted out. Pretty happy with the results I am getting, looking to move on to Soulbeast and try a friend's build.

New builds post November 2017 patch

Ive been doing some research and have found a few builds I'll post here for people to get ideas. Some builds from prepatch are still good choices or only need minor tweaks. If you want to try what you have, feel free!

Usual disclaimer: the 'best' build changes with the situation, your opponents, and what you like and are good at playing. Hopefully these builds give you some ideas you can customize!

D/D Spellbreaker (Not the only way to play warrior. Berserker builds and even base warrior builds are out there. I might be able to dig some up of anyone is interested,or you could ask Odd.)

D/sh Spellbreaker (build in the comment)

Power Mirage (this guide is dated from 1 month ago but a more recent video said it was still valid)

This is a WIP so I'll hopefully add more. If you find anything interesting, please post!