Sign in to follow this  
spltscreen

Ser's Pick: ReBoot (the computer animated TV show)

For those curious about the origin of our TS server password, I present to you a scene from ReBoot, a beloved show from my childhood.

ReBoot is a computer animated TV show that enjoyed a 4 season run across several networks during the mid-to-late 90's. It starred a cast of colorful characters who lived inside a computer and frequently butted heads with the villains who were computer viruses, naturally. I enjoyed it for all the great computer puns: they lived in the city of Mainframe; the city looked like a stack of hard drive platters and was divided into sectors; citizens of the city were called binomes (and looked like either 1's or 0's); other characters had names like Dot Matrix, Megabyte, Hexadecimal (just to name a few).

For all its computer punnery, it also paid homage to a lot of pop culture. Many of my earliest references to famous people, music and films are thanks to this wonderfully wacky show. I've still been known to say "hey, this is like that scene from ReBoot!"

Like a lot of great things, it was perhaps a bit ahead of its time. It broke new ground as the first regularly running animated show to be produced using 100% computer graphics (CGI). It pioneered a lot of the earliest lip-syncing technology to match voice actors to their characters. And it famously had one of the largest and most expensive rendering server farms of its time, which still took days to render just one 30 minute episode.

A lot of computer animated works we take for granted today (looking at you, Pixar!) owe their existence to the pioneers behind ReBoot.

Wow. I also remember this, somehow. All of the names/titles don't register, but I remember those sweet graphics.