Sign in to follow this  
Mold

Deimos

We had a brief intro to Deimos last night. May be worth chatting strats before wed. Five things I was thinking about while struggling to sleep last night:

1. I like the idea of bringing a fully self-sufficient kiter who doesn't need to run to bubble. It's simpler on standard mode, and required for the challenge mote. While heal tempest is self-sufficient, I think the block options make it less ideal than i was thinking. Am I missing something? Essentially, you need access to a channel block every 35 seconds or so. Aegis or single blocks will often be insta-stripped by the pink dots. Ventari rev, i guess? Maybe Odd has a funky scrapper build for us.

2. I was thinking condi would be better, but I think that was dumb. All of the add control in the fight makes power better, I think.

3. To make the challenge mote easier later on, perhaps we could bring two DHs and get folks comfie on the fight with that class. My working theory for the CM is that the chrono tank brings feedback to protect the group from aegis stripping tear turrets and to define a safe place to stand. Guards pop aegis inside the feedback dome, just before the attack. Would that work?

4. With all the dps loss from minstrel tank and kiter, I don't think we can sustain 2 magi druids.

5. And finally, the black aoe mechanic which spawns on the 2nd closest player to the tank boss: is it a good idea to designate a dps class to stay with tank at all times to ensure that it spawns in predictable places? Most vids I've watched play that pretty fast and loose, but if the remaining 7 can handle all adds and minigames, this strat may simplify the fight drammatically.

1. A recent thread on reddit has me really intrigued by a Revenant handler (see what I did there?). If we're into this strategy, I'd be happy to convert some spare gear into a kiting set (if no one else wishes to do so):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5tvlzy/revenant_meta_the_ultimate_kiter/?sort=new

2. I also think power is the way to go with the possible exception of condi ranger.

3. Scepter DH seems ideal for the fight. It could melt the demon chain stanchions, excel at add control, and do great burst damage on Deimos.

4. The fight is 12 minutes long, right? If we routinely hit enrage while also succeeding at most mechanics then, yes, ditching a magi druid makes sense. But I'd like to see how much sustain the group needs before going whole hog on DPS. Maybe I am being too cautious here, but the fight has a Matthias endurance test vibe that makes magi druid tempting.

5. Do you mean it spawns on the player closest to the tank? (I imagine this is what you mean.) Or one removed from that? Just clarifying. 

I'd like to see how things go tonight before asking anyone to gear out a rev for this. Heal tempest is a different story, as that is useful in at least two other fights. I know Virq probably won't have the tempest ready by tonight, so we'll probably ask you or one of the druids to take the role for the evening.

I can gear a heal tempest for next week. Let's see how tonight goes and if it seems necessary I will do so. I am also fine kiting as druid tonight.

Will be on by 9.

• Like 1

So the trick with Tempest kiting is that you have to alternate between rebound and arcane shield to negate the dome attack.  It also looks like toughness may mitigate the flak damage as the tempest in this video is taking about half the damage I was taking.  Knowing that rebound works should help a lot for challenge mode.

I still think Rev is probably better suited but at least now I understand how it's possible on Tempest.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Why didn't we think of that last night?!

I also like the approach of having the group camp mid when possible. Deimos's slow movement is really obnoxious, staying mid should make it easier to work around the oil spills.

It's good to know that the attack is not an insta-kill mechanic--just a huge spike. I noticed that rebound failed to proc once or twice in SALT's vid because the kiter was too high on health when the attack hit.

I know we're probably going rev for this, but I found this video today that illustrates how Druid can kite without going to the middle for the dome (most of the time, it might not be 100%). Thought I'd throw it out there in case we want another option (or perhaps the back up?).

Edited by Maia

OK. This all has me thinking we should stick with ele. I don't want anybody to build a trash rev just for this one role on this one encounter if heal ele is going to be strong. 

I was thinking something like this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWn0XC9MgVYCOYCcYilXAroCMBeAEDgAwP0dqeV/qA-TxxGQBeUJoiU/5XK/AwFAgcPAgXpDYI7PQKAR3bB-e

Not sure if that's strictly ideal, but it has

• access to constant regen and vigor (with heal on dodge)
  • a flat 10% damage reduction food
  • bonus bloc procs at random
  • protection maybe 1/5 of the time

It uses the same armor you'd use as a magi tempest, but a nomad's weapon and some nomad's trinkets, so it just costs a moderate haul in magnetite shards. We could go higher with toughness than this (1880), but it's the highest we can go without demanding the chrono go crazy high.

Nice, Odd! What build did you use?

I think we should plan to have you prep yourself to do it. I would love for Virq and Kintari to prepare ele builds and watch some vids for it. Perhaps we can start with you on rev, Odd. But having the others ready (with gear and in terms of knowing the strats) is a good idea too.

Wow. I didn't know what my life was missing until I heard the remix of No Scrubs at the beginning of that video. :Kappa:

After doing some light experimentation, I think I can what the Rev build is aiming for even better with this:

ce1866b6704b98b70e0da642c5a623e9.png

Let the weirdening begin.

After some practice in a pug, yeah, I think this build performs well. Still thinking about some modifications I might do to it, but liking the results so far.

That build would need more healing I think. even with some strong defensive stats, you still need the sustain to match. I thought about doing a mesmer build for this roll, and it likely would need Restorative Mantras paired with Power Return and Power Spike cycling.

• Like 1

The problem with restorative mantra's is you get 600 toughness while channeling them so you'd need to go like full Magi's to not take aggro.  I was thinking the sustain from the signet + heal on shatter, regen from chaos and shatter refreshes might be just barely enough but it would be a rough time.  I like playing non-boon bot mes, I'd like this to be a thing just for that reason but I totally understand how awkward you'd have to play to make it work.

• Like 1

The incoming damage pushes something to the tune of 2-3k per second in spurts and if you can't use your healing signet because you give up the Heal over Time effect, I don't think you could really last more than a few molesty hand sets. I really do think that build would need more. The Signet passive plus regen may very well not be enough.

Would you be able to do the math and see what kind of healing per second you could get?

Edited by oddGo

Possibly, this is still in the very early stages of theorycraft for me as I want to check the way certain interactions work with the way your self buffing would go.  I'll keep faffing with it in my free time and see if I can't come up with numbers